Article provided by: HCS
HCS is an agency for special children in Monsey with unique developmental needs. Our highly compassionate and skilled team of experts can help your kid evolve, learn, and develop into self-sufficient individuals.
What qualifies as a developmental disability?
A developmental delay is a condition where a child faces a delay in meeting his/her milestones in physical, learning, language, or behavioral areas. Children with milestone delays often grow up with certain impairment. Some of the factors that cause a developmental delay include:
- Parental behaviors like smoking, drinking, substance use, etc
- Evidence of mental health disorders during pregnancy
- Infections during pregnancy
- Complications during pregnancy
- Exposure to environmental toxins during pregnancy
- Birth complications, etc.
While there may not be a permanent cure for developmental delay, it is possible to alleviate the symptoms and improve the quality of life with regular therapy and medical care. Developmental disabilities generally begin before a baby is born and can last a lifetime. At our agency for special children in Monsey, we develop a custom treatment plan that best addresses each child’s unique needs.
What are the causes of mental retardation in children?
Intellectual disability often occurs as a result of something interfering with normal brain development. Some of the common causes of intellectual disability are:
- Some children are born with chromosomal abnormalities like down syndrome and fragile X syndrome that can often cause an intellectual disability
- If the mother consumed alcohol, smoked cigarettes, or used drugs; such activities can severely compromise the fetus's brain development
- Mothers who suffer from conditions like malnutrition, preeclampsia, and certain infections are highly likely to give birth to a baby with intellectual disability
- Babies born through complicated childbirths and babies born prematurely are more likely to have an intellectual disability
- Infants, children, and adults that suffer from infections like meningitis, measles, and other infections in the brain can result in acquiring an intellectual disability.
Besides the causes mentioned above, almost 2/3rd of children with intellectual disabilities have no explanation or clear cause for their condition. Regardless of the cause, we aim to offer the best treatment for children with mental retardation issues at our center.
Signs of intellectual disability in children
Signs of mental retardation generally appears during infancy or early childhood. The symptoms vary from child to child, depending upon the severity of the disability. Some of the common signs of this condition include:
- Delay in achieving a milestone like rolling over, crawling, or walking late during childhood
- The trouble with speech or talking late
- Late in mastering skills like potty training, dressing up, brushing their teeth, etc.
- Poor memory
- Inability to build a connection between actions and consequences
- Behavioral issues like aggressiveness, tantrums, etc.
- Poor logical reasoning and cognitive abilities
Children with intellectual disability often suffer from other health problems like seizures, mood disorders, etc. We are an agency for special children in Monsey with a focus on bettering the lives of children with unique development needs. At HCS, we focus on helping the children understand, adapt, and co-exist in the environment that they live in without facing any challenges.Agency For Special Children Monsey
View Larger Map
We welcome your comments!
Your Facility for Rehab Services in Salt Lake, UT
We Can Help You!
Considering a skilled nursing or rehabilitation facility can be a confusing process. Please reach out with any questions or concerns you may have. We’re here to help.